Delaware Department of

Certification & Training

The Department of Agriculture offers the following certification and training, and testing:

  • Grain Inspectors: The Department’s Plant Industries section certifies grain inspectors at Delaware’s commercial grain mills.
  • Nutrient Management: The Nutrient Management Program works with the University of Delaware Cooperative Extension Service to help individuals certify as a Nutrient Generator, Private Nutrient Handler, Commercial Nutrient Handler, or Nutrient Consultant. Continuing Education classes are also available to help maintain certification.
  • Pesticide Applicators: The Pesticide section certifies pesticide applicators; and this certification is required to buy and use restricted-use pesticides in Delaware. Additionally, a pesticide business license is required to apply any pesticide to the land or property of another, in Delaware.
  • Food Safety for On-Farm Food Entrepreneurs/Delaware Farmers: The Department and the University of Delaware Cooperative Extension partnered to provide a food safety course and certification offered to potential on-farm food entrepreneurs. Delaware Farmers wanting to sell non-potentially hazardous foods produced in an on-farm kitchen can complete an eight hour (one day) training session, pass a written test, and have their kitchen inspected and licensed by the Food Products Inspection section. The category known as “potentially non-hazardous foods applies to foods produced and sold on their farm, at a roadside stand, farm market or farmers’ market.


Laboratory Testing, Sampling, Inspection, and Certificates

  • General Business: Commercial Measuring and Weighing Devices: The Weights and Measures section inspects and certifies all commercial measuring and weighing devices to ensure compliance with national standards before they are placed into commercial use (including all commercial scales, gas pumps, fuel oil and LPG vehicle tank meters, and moisture meters.
  • Seeds: The Department’s Seed Laboratory tests seed samples submitted by consumers to verify the quality (germination rate) of their seeds.
  • Beekeeping: The Plant Industries section inspects honeybee colonies for bee pests and diseases and issues inspection certificates for colonies being moved out of state.
  • Nurseries: The Plant Industries section issues certificates of inspection to nursery stock growers who distribute wholesale.

Related Topics:  , , , , , , ,