Delaware Department of

Grants & Loans

The Delaware Department of Agriculture provides financial assistance, grants, and loans for a variety of projects and activities, including:


Farming Assistance

Deadline December 1. The Delaware Contract Poultry Grower Grant Assistance Program will compensate contract poultry growers who had an active grower contract in force on facilities located in Delaware on March 15 when COVID-19 impacted our state, have an approved CAFO permit or have filed a Notice of Intent for CAFO coverage, and do not have business interruption coverage for the losses covered by the grant program.

For poultry growers who meet these requirements, the grant program will compensate:

  • $1,000 per poultry house, up to a maximum payment of $5,000 per farm.
  • In addition, any grower that meets the above criteria, and had to depopulate birds remaining in-house for composting related to COVID-19 will receive another $1,500 per poultry house depopulated without cap.

Applicants must complete a W-9 form online ( prior to receiving payment.

The deadline for submitting applications is December 1. Applications should be mailed to:

Delaware Department of Agriculture
Attn: Poultry Grower Assistance Program
2320 S. DuPont Hwy
Dover, DE 19901

Frequently Asked Questions:

In order to receive payment, there needs to be a live signature on the application. We cannot accept emailed applications. You will need to mail your completed signed application to:

Delaware Department of Agriculture
Attn: Poultry Grower Assistance Program
2320 South DuPont Highway
Dover, Delaware 19901

Payments for houses at more than one location and/or under separate contracts will only be eligible for more than one payment if they have their own separate IRS Federal Tax ID Number (EIN).

If you are growing more than 37,500 chickens at any one location, you must have filed or file with this grant, a Notice of Intent (NOI) to be a CAFO to be eligible to receive payment.

Poultry growers that experienced in-house depopulation of their chickens (due to COVID-19 only) are eligible for an additional payment of $1,500 per house that was depopulated. The chickens must have been depopulated in-house.

You can call the Delaware Department of Agriculture at 302-698-4529 with questions.

The State of Delaware does not accept the federal W-9 form. Registration, updates or changes, must be made through the eSupplier portal at

Note: If you select ACH for payment, it will be deposited directly into the account you provide. This does expedite the payment process.

To register for the first time as a supplier with the State of Delaware, the New Supplier Registration Guide will help walk you through the process.

If you still have questions, visit the State of Delaware’s Division of Accounting W-9 Frequently Asked Questions.

If you signed up in the past as a supplier to receive payment, you may still need to update your information to reactivate your account.

For questions regarding Supplier Maintenance that you have not been able to answer via the links above, contact:

Delaware Division of Accounting
820 Silver Lake Blvd., Suite 200
Dover, DE 19904
Ph: 302-526-5600

Farmland Preservation Assistance

The Department of Agriculture administers the Aglands Preservation Program where landowners can voluntarily sell the development rights for their farm through a permanent conservation easement.

The Department also administers the Young Farmers Loan Program which helps young farmers acquire farmland through a long-term, no-interest loan.


Food Safety Audit Cost-SharePicture of Apples on a wagon overlayed with the Delaware Department of Agriculture logo and text that say Food Safety Audit Cost-Share Program

The Food Products Inspection section administers a cost-share program designed to assist Delaware fruit and vegetable growers with the cost associated with obtaining an third party food safety audit and the testing of their agricultural water.

SCBG USDA or Commercial Food Safety Audit Cost-Share Overview

SCBG USDA or Commercial Food Safety Audit Cost-Share Application


Forestry Assistance

Urban Forestry Grants: The Delaware Forest Service (DFS) offers grants annually to communities and civic associations throughout the state for tree planting and tree management projects on publicly owned lands. These communities must match these grants with either nonfederal funds and/or in-kind services (volunteer time, staff time, etc.).

Forest Landowner Cost Share Program: This Program provides cost-share assistance to landowners for a variety of forest management activities, including reforestation, prescribed fire, herbicide application, and pre-commercial thinning administered by the Delaware Forest Service, in cooperation with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service


Nutrient Management Assistance

Nutrient Management Plan Cost-Share Assistance Program provides cost-shares for farmers to develop nutrient management plans to meet the regulations of Delaware’s Nutrient Management law.

Nutrient Management Relocation Program provides funding to help transport excess manure to alternative use projects or farms needing nutrients.


USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant

The Department’s Marketing section manages the Specialty Crop Block Grant to enhance the competitiveness of Delaware’s specialty crop industry through research, education and/or marketing. Specialty crops are defined by law as “fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits and horticulture, and nursery crops, including floriculture.”

Related Topics:  , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,